The Bahamas Historical Society is a non-profit cultural and educational organisation
dedicated to stimulating interest in Bahamian History and to the collection
and preservation of material relating to that history.
One of the society's main objectives is to improve its
Museum and to open it more frequently to the public. Society programmes
and publications are made possible by membership dues, donations and advertisements
in the Journal.
The Society is governed by its Articles
of Association. The Annual General Meeting is held during the month
Bahamian artist, Mr Alton Lowe kindly designed the crest
for the Bahamas Historical Society, which appears on this website. It
was being used for the first time in connection with the celebration of
the society's twenty-fifth anniversary in October 1984. The crest depicts
a sailing sloop; these boats have played such an important role in the
life and the development of the Bahama Islands.
Founding of the Society
The Bahamas Historical Society was founded in 1959 by Lady Arthur, the
wife of the then-Governor of the Bahamas, Sir Raynor Arthur. With the
support of the most prominent residents of the Bahamas at the time, she
was able to establish the society.
History of the Society
Early meetings of the society were held at Government House and later
at "The Rand Compound," which had once been used as a storehouse
of the West India Regiment. Lectures and small exhibitions were the main
activities of the society. During the 1960s, the society relocated to
a building in Cumberland Street, where a permanent exhibit was mounted.
In 1976, the present building was donated to the society by the Imperial
Order Daughters of the Empire.
The Journal of the Bahamas Historical Society
The society's Journal has been published since 1979 and forms
an important database of scholarly research on the history of the Bahamas.
Submissions of articles related to Bahamian history are invited. ...